What to do with your super when you're leaving Australia?

If you’ve worked and earned super while visiting Australia on a temporary visa, you can apply to have this super paid to you after you leave.

It’s called a DASP which stands for departing Australia superannuation payment. Any super contributions paid by your employer must remain in your super fund account while you’re in Australia.

Are you eligible for a DASP?

As a LUCRF Super member, you can claim a DASP if all of the following apply:

  • You accumulated super while working in Australia on a temporary resident visa issued under the Migration Act 1958 (excluding Subclasses 405 and 410).
  • Your visa has ceased to be in effect (for example, it has expired or been cancelled).
  • You’ve left Australia.
  • You’re not an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or a permanent resident of Australia.

Note: If you’re a New Zealand citizen leaving Australia permanently, you may be able to transfer your super to New Zealand under the Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability scheme.

How and when DASP is paid

Once you lodge your completed application with the ATO, they'll generally take up to 28 days to approve it. Once approved they'll notify us.

Your DASP will generally be paid within 28 days of receipt of your approved application.

However, it may take longer if you submit an incomplete application or additional information is required.

Payment will occur via electronic funds transfer (EFT) to an Australian bank account.

How much tax will you pay when you claim your super?

Payment component^DASP ordinary tax rateDASP working holiday makers (WHM)* tax rate
Tax-free componentNilNil
Taxable component – taxed element35%65%
Taxable component – untaxed element45%65%

^Refer to ato.gov.au for further information.
*A WHM visa refers to a subclass 417 (working holiday) visa, a subclass 462 (work and holiday) visa or a related bridging visa.

How do you claim your super?

Under $5,000

Use the online DASP form on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website. Simply visit ato.gov.au and search ‘DASP’.

Over $5,000

Complete a ‘Certificate of Immigration Status and/or request to cancel a Temporary Resident visa’ form (form 1194) available from homeaffairs.gov.au.

If you are a LUCRF Super member and planning on leaving call 1300 130 780 for assistance when applying for a DASP.